Saturday, January 3, 2015

Jr. High School for Scandal

I would quite happily not mention Duncan Black, who never writes anything worth mentioning, anymore, or the chat room he hosts, a collection of Lady Sneerwells, not a political discussion group, if they'd stop lying about me. I'd happily return the favor of ignoring their existence if they'd do me the favor of ignoring mine and of those other former regulars from the period when he wrote something noteworthy and the place wasn't mostly dedicated to malicious gossip and establishing an adolescent pecking order based on what's kewl with them.

But Atrios ain't hardly no Sheridan - who was courageous enough to fight a duel against a man who defamed his fiance in a newspaper - and his cast of nasty characters are real, as are the people they lie about.  And I won't overlook the lie told about me there yesterday, essentially that I support the murdering of gay men when their killers claim that their victim came on to them.   If Black won't do something about that kind of thing, I will and he, as the host of the lie, is involved.

I have had the suggestion made before that I adopt Disqus as a comment system here so it will be easier for people to make comments.  My reason for not doing that is precisely because I won't host dishonest attacks on other people, at all, and am only interested in addressing those made about me on my terms.  Generally when I can get a bit of humor out of them, as yesterday.  Sorry, they seldom provide more than the material for a wry smile or an eye roll, they tend to be just stupid and middle brow, when they're not stupid and low brow.  Anyway, you're not missing much.  Those are the kinds of decisions people make when they do this, whether or not they want to take responsibility for what they host.  Duncan Black's pose of hands-off libertarianism has been the vehicle for him hosting the kind of garbage he does but I don't see any reason for anyone who is the recipient of the trash flung at them to agree to his pose of having no responsibility for what he facilitates and provides a platform.

Update:  I've read through several of the old, relevant blog threads for the past hour and am kind of shocked at how what was a waste of time back then is an even bigger waste of time now.  I also figured out that if you want to be a persona non grata with the groovy group at Baby Blue, you bring up something for discussion instead of head nodding consensus.   Thus it was, thus it is even more now. Yeesh, what a way to ruin a life of the mind.   I do think I might get some use out of that but unless someone gives me reason to write more about it today I'm leaving it for something that might be useful

Update 2:  ErinPDX?  That dim dolly is all day job and a bit of back beat in a banal band.  A "musician"?  Please.

5 comments:

  1. So...you're self-loathing now? That's a new one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At Eschaton you can't just be flawed, you've got to be every evil that they can imagine you are, apparently.

      I was surprised to be able to find the very discussions where I talked about "the gay rape defense", probably because I knew it was the day before I posted that piece at Echidne's that led to me deciding to stop writing there. The proof that one of their esteemed regulars was lying through her teeth, accusing someone of effectively being in favor of legalized murder of a group of people he belongs to, and it's perfectly OK with Duncan and the rest of the regulars such as remain there.

      I have to conclude that I was right, "Atrios" cares more about people buying from the retail sweatshop, Amazon, to his profit than he does the integrity of what gets posted on his website. Considering his beginning at Media Whores Online, the irony couldn't be more striking than him prostituting his website without caring what gets said on it. Oh, well, he is an Ivy Leaguer, as I recall.

      Delete
    2. I went to Duncan's to check out a heads up and saw that his great hardship of the day included going shopping in the rain and having the pickle shop be closed up.

      Is that guy a lazy narcissist or what?

      Delete
  2. I guess I have a hard time reading that Sugar Ray post (which I remember from the time, but re-visited just now) and seeing how anybody could sling that shit at you. Even Kewl Sims and the Gang. It's astonishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It went on for days and hundreds and hundreds of comments at Echidne's and was even worse when Lindsay Beyerstein completely misrepresented it and it go onto Salon through Mary Elizabeth Williams, who obviously never bothered reading what I wrote but repeated Beyerstein's misrepresentation. Considering Beyerstein's father, Barry Beyerstein wrote papers about the necessity of being careful to stick to facts in accusations of sexual abuse, and people got upset when I brought that up, it was clear there was nothing that could stop the misrepresentations. I posted about it back then on this blog. It was my worst experience writing online. To have Freki lie about what I said in it last night, the opposite of what I did say, was way too far.

      Delete