Monday, March 2, 2020

Imelda Staunton - Some People




Geesh, I was totally unaware of Imelda Staunton until I listened to a video where Sondheim said she sang Mama Rose like you'd never heard it before.   He was right, as he certainly would have been, she's great.  Not only in this but in Sweeney Todd as found online.  And I heard Tyne Daly, who was great, as well, but this is a much different approach.  You get the feeling she's a pathologically ambitious stage mother but one who does really love her daughters. 

I read she played Dolores Umbridge in the Harry Potter movies.  Sorry, not even to see her, no doubt, great performance as that personification of the banality of evil will I watch another of those.  The books were much better.   But I'd love to hear her Mrs. Lovett in person. 

No comments:

Post a Comment