Thursday, May 27, 2021

Out Of This Till July At Least

I CAN DO ONLY  so much to correct mistaken ideas presenting valid evidence and reasonable arguments, it's not within my power to correct the choice for invincible ignorance, what the play-left shares with the Trump right.*  So I'm done doing that for the rest of the month.  He's representative of the anti-Christian bigots that flourished in the mid-brow, college-credentialed milieu in which we both got credentialed.  Some of us chose to keep learning and found out not everything we were led to believe was true.  Some of us seem to have stopped learning at about the age of 12.  Or maybe it's more a question of emotional non-development.   The two seem to go together  more often than mere coincidence could explain.  Or maybe one is the cause of the other.

Here's a simple definition that the simplest mind might get:

invincible ignorance -- the fallacy of insisting on the legitimacy of one's position in the face of contradictory facts. Statements like "I really don't care what the experts say; no one is going to convince me that I'm wrong"; "nothing you say is going to change my mind"; "yeah, okay, whatever!" are examples of this fallacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment