Wednesday, May 1, 2019

See Also:

By chance, going to check that last piece at the NPR website, they have this picture of the esteemed actor Lauren Bacall with Sinatra in 1957, the same year Bogart died from lung cancer. Looking at it, I can't help but remember reading that when Bogart started becoming aware of the dangers of smoking, he switched from Chesterfields to filters. I wonder if the stylish cigarette holder was adopted for that reason. 



Remember, this is the same woman who appeared in that ad I posted the other day.  I don't have the date but as Bogey died in January, chances are it was after he died.  

I will give Lauren Bacall this, ever much later, when she was in her 80s, she gave a very frank, horrible account of Humphrey Bogart's last act, his terrible death from smoking induced cancer, the very thing that had been so much a part of his celebrity and hers, something they'd made a lot of money out of.   I suspect the images in the movies, Bacall and Bogart lighting up has a lot more impact on peoples' behavior than the anti-smoking ads of a few years later.  I thought I remembered some of those featuring her or him, but I can't find those online.  I can find dozens and dozens of movie clips of them smoking together at the direction of the director, perhaps the writers and producers, too. 

I haven't watched TV since the high-definition switch was made, so I don't know.  Do they even have on anti-smoking ads anymore?   I'm sure the smoking scenes are still aired, regularly. 

Update:  Oh, yeah, and I should mention the drinks they've got, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment