Wednesday, May 1, 2019

We've Got To Take High Level Law Enforcement Out Of The Hands Of Republicans

I believe I'm right that the FBI has never had a director who wasn't a Republican.  I've looked and other than Andrew McCabe, who may or may not be a Republican, every other one seems to have been.  I just thought I'd lead with that.  That I couldn't find out what party Andrew McCabe belongs to may speak to his ethical superiority in removing his personal political identity out of his work,  of all of the figures from within the Department of Justice during the Trump era, he's the only one I can muster respect for. 

I doubt that if Robert Mueller had been reporting on the crimes of a Democratic President he would have done his Sphinx act in the face of Barr's cover-up of his report into seriously harmful and dangerous criminal acts by a president and his campaign mixed up into the Putin regime's corruption of an American election, I doubt if Barr hadn't been one of his long time Republican colleagues that he would have held back for MORE THAN A FRIGGIN' MONTH, he wouldn't have if another, especially a Democratic Attorney General, misrepresented what he had found in his investigation. 

In thinking about the leaked letter he sent to Barr  A FRIGGIN' MONTH AGO! complaining that he was misrepresenting the Mueller Report, I can't believe that Robert Mueller would have acted so weakly if Barr was not one of his Republican colleagues of long standing, reportedly a (maybe former) personal friend.  How anyone who values equal justice before the law could have been friends with Barr after his role in the George H. W. Bush cover-up pardons, A FRIGGIN' LAW MAN, FOR PETE'S SAKE, is something I don't understand.  I've broken with people over far smaller points of morality. 

As this drags on the repeated, rote assertions as to the professional excellence and sterling character of Robert Mueller ring increasingly dull.  I will point out that until a couple of weeks ago, a lot of those people issuing those encomia were lauding Rod Rosenstein, someone who I had figured for a sleaze all along.  Many of them gave us assurances that William Barr's professionalism and devotion to the Department of Justice would keep him from being a lump of crap. 

The excuse that is being given that Mueller is currently an employee of the Department of Justice is something that Mueller could fix with a resignation letter.  I wonder why someone who feels the way he claims to about the handling of what might be the most important work he's ever done figures that the Trump DoJ is going to be moved by anything but the House taking decisive action, decisive action that is awaiting the testimony of Robert Mueller.  

I'm not impressed with Robert Mueller's pose of professional restraint, it has already only aided the Trump cover-up for one crucial month, dragging it out until May 23rd will only help the Trump cover-up more.  I would expect that the Honorable Jerrold Nadler had reasons for setting that date for Mueller's testimony, I wonder if that date didn't have something to do with Mueller's schedule and not one set by Nadler.  The longer this cover-up goes on the more it helps Trump run out the clock.  If there is a more subtle plan in this that ends up with Trump and Barr and the rest of these criminals and sleazes indicted and, hopefully, convicted, I don't see any sign of that.  I trust Congressman Nadler, certainly to the extent that he can control things, I am sure there are things he can't control in this.  I'm not so sure I trust Robert Mueller's judgement,  his reported friendship with the always sleazy cover-up master William Barr and his party membership as a Republican in 2019 are enough to arouse my skepticism.

I think one of the things we need to do is force Democratic presidential candidates to promise to not appoint another Republican to high positions in law enforcement.  The character of that party, the criminality of the Nixon, Reagan, Bush I, administrations, the Bush II regime and now, the most florid corruption of the Trump regime (not to mention Republicans in the Congress) should be enough to impeach the ethical character and judgement of anyone who would retain membership in it.  That's especially true of those who are legal professionals.  William Barr who probably adds treasonous inclinations to the kind of corruption that John Mitchell practiced,  should be the poster boy of that brand. 

Barack Obama has reportedly said that James Comey to head the FBI was the worst appointment he made,  it's one of those rare occasions I'd agree with him.  Certainly one of Bill Clinton's worst was Louis Freeh as the head of the FBI, I remember the lobbying for them from the media and the DC insider class.  The next Democratic President should take those two instances of Democratic presidents being suckered like that to heart and find a dependable professional who isn't part of the indigenous criminal class that the Republican Party 2019 is.   No more Republican FBI directors, they've held that office way too long, already. 

No comments:

Post a Comment