Monday, August 23, 2021

Things That Come Up On My Youtube Sidebar -

THIS ONE ABOUT the myth that the Catholic Church banned the tri-tone because they thought it summoned the devil had some things in it I'd never known, the ones I did know were quite accurate.   It reminds me of the time I got into it with a few of the "brain trusters" (they really have called their home blog the "Brain Trust" I'm not making that up) over the idiotic claim that "The Catholic Church banned the third."


The attribution of the common received unwisdom on this to the romantic period is something I haven't checked out, given that that what I knew was accurately represented, I'd guess that was too.   It took me being exposed to such idiocy online and going back to check the original sources to make me understand what a disaster for intellectual honesty the "enlightenment" and its spawn, the 19th century romantic era have been.  Not that the previous ages were anything to want to go back to, just that once they could make any claim they wanted to, all hell broke lose.  The morons who spout it online (at one point retired semi-pro virgin, officially held to be "public intellectual" Little Benny Shapiro spouts it in the video) would probably have gotten it from a pop version of that 19th century a-history, Apparently some of that vetted by the big brains of heavy metal.   

One thing is so clear it should constitute a law of nature, anything you blame on "The Church," especially the Catholic Church, will be repeated endlessly no matter what a load of bull shit it is.  It's my experience that in the college-credentialed once that bull shit is swallowed, you can't talk them into admitting it's bull shit no matter how many primary sources and examples you show them.   I think it's pretty shocking how resistant to evidence most of them are.  The scholastic period of the middle-ages were more open to evidence than a lot of those around today. 

We are in a darker age than the dark ages, all of that college-credentialing hasn't made it better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment