Saturday, February 1, 2020

Saturday Night Radio Drama - Rod Serling - Interview Before Twilight Zone and After It, The Zero Hour



Rod Serling is one of the few TV writers I really like, I would guess that his extensive apprenticeship in writing for radio might have something to do with that.  This is an interesting 1959 interview from right before The Twilight Zone.  Rod Serling is one of the few writers mentioned whose best work stands up.   He wrote a bit of junk as well but I'm not interested in that.   What he said about TV was said from 1959, it didn't reach his hopes, it got worse, it became the Vast Wasteland that Newton Minnow bemoaned two years later. 

He went back to radio writing after he did the work he's most known for, he did The Zero Hour, which I'll post a link to so you can try it out for yourself.  I just started listening to them.  Here's a promo for it.  Rod Serling had a great voice, you wonder how much of that was due to his chain smoking which ended up killing him.  I like the music for the promo.  I will warn you that what I've heard of it has varied sound quality, you probably won't want to listen with headphones.  But I find with radio drama the sound quality doesn't get in the way of the drama. 

No comments:

Post a Comment