Friday, January 31, 2020

Jackie Robinson Witnessed The Turn Of The Republican Party Into The Path Of Racist Hatred It Followed Ever Since

They tell me on the radio it's the 100th anniversary of the birth of Jackie Robinson,  I will take the opportunity to post this footnote from a piece two years ago, I think you'll find it relevant in proving some of my points made in the past weeks

-------------------------------

If I had the funding and time I would like to look at the timeline of Barry Goldwater's campaign use of semi-covert racism in the year 1964 to see if there was any change after the Sullivan decision came down in March of that year.   Luckily, in the wake of the assassination of John Kennedy, it was never really likely that Goldwater would have won the election but he did push the use of sometimes veiled, sometimes explicit racism and an appeal to racists farther.

The Sullivan Decision could have been decided by pointing out that the ad which was sued over didn't mention Sullivan by name so he had no standing to sue, it could have been decided to require that the Times and or those who wrote the ad issue a retraction of the minor errors of fact in the ad or any of a number of other ways that didn't empower the age of lies it started.

Also, about the 1964 Goldwater campaign and what it started, From Jackie Robinson's Memoir

I will never forget the fantastic scene of Governor Rockefeller’s ordeal as he endured what must have been three minutes of hysterical abuse and booing which interrupted his fighting statement which the convention managers had managed to delay until the wee hours of the morning.  Since the telecast was coming from the West Coast, that meant that many people in other sections of the country, because of the time differential, would be in their beds.  I don’t think he has ever stood taller than that night when he refused to be silenced until he had had his say.

It was a terrible hour for the relatively few black delegates who were present.  Distinguished in their communities, identified with the cause of Republicanism, an extremely unpopular cause among blacks, they had been served notice that the party they had fought for considered them just another bunch of “niggers”.  They had no real standing in the convention, no clout.  They were unimportant and ignored.  One bigot from one of the Deep South states actually threw acid on a black delegate’s suit jacket and burned it.  Another one, from the Alabama delegation where I was standing at the time of the Rockefeller speech, turned on me menacingly while I was shouting “C’mon Rocky” as the governor stood his ground.  He started up in his seat as if to come after me.  His wife grabbed his arm and pulled him back.

“Turn him loose, lady, turn him loose,” I shouted.

I was ready for him.  I wanted him badly, but luckily for him he obeyed his wife.

I had been very active on that convention floor.  I was one of those trying to help bring about a united front among the black delegates in the hope of thwarting the Goldwater drive.  George Parker had courageously challenged Goldwater in vain and Edward Brooke had lent his uncompromising sincerity to the convention.  I sat in with them after the nomination as they agonized about what they should do.  Some were for walking out of the convention and even out of the party.  Others felt that, as gloomy as things looked, the wisest idea was to remain within the party and fight.  Throughout the convention, I had been interviewed several times on network television.  When I was asked my opinion of Barry Goldwater, I gave it.  I said I thought he was a bigot.  I added that he was not as important as the forces behind him.  I was genuinely concerned, for instance, about Republican National Committee Chairman William Miller, slated to become the Vice Presidential candidate.  Bill Miller could have become the Agnew of his day if he had been elected.  He was a man who apparently believed you never said a decent thing in political campaigning if you could think of a way to be nasty, insinuating, and abrasive.  What with the columns I had written about Goldwater, The Saturday Evening Post article, and the television and radio interview, I had achieved a great deal of publicity about the way I felt about Goldwater.

Although I know it is the way of politicians to forget their differences and unify around the victor, it disgusted me to see how quickly the various anti-Goldwater GOP kingpins got converted.  Richard Nixon, who hadn’t really fought Goldwater and had in fact been an ally, naturally became one of his most staunch supporters.  You could expect that.  Governor Romney, who had fought the Goldwater concept so vigorously, got religion.  The convert who around the most cynical feelings in my mind was Governor William Scranton.  When Governor Rockefeller had withdrawn from the race, during the primaries, Rockefeller supporters turned to Scranton because he had become the governor’s choice.  At the request of the governor I had a meeting with Scranton in his beautiful home in Pennsylvania.

Governor Scranton welcomed me graciously, introduced me to his family, and conducted me to a veranda where we sat and sipped iced tea.  The governor pledged that he was going to put up a terrific fight against Goldwater.  He expressed his gratitude for Governor Rockefeller’s support and for my agreeing to come to see him.  For at least ten minutes he orated about Barry Goldwater, what a threat Goldwaterism is to the country and the party.  I didn’t ask him for it, but he gave his solemn oath that even if Goldwater won the nomination, he, Bill Scranton, could never conceivably, under any circumstances, support him.  Even if he wanted to, which he said he didn’t, it would be political suicide in his state for him to join a Goldwater bandwagon.  He was unequivocal about this, and months later, when I saw on television how quickly Governor Scranton pledged his loyalty to nominee Goldwater, how eagerly he engaged in some of the most revolting high-level white Uncle Tomism I’ve ever seen – fawning on Goldwater and vigorously campaigning for him around the country – I had to wonder if this was, indeed, the same man who had nearly sworn on the Bible that he could never do what he was doing.

I wish I could find video of the appearance on the Les Crane show where Robinson and Shelley Winters ganged up on William F. Buckley, which Robinson described at the end of that chapter.  It sounds like it was probably a lot more interesting than Buckley's set to with Vidal a few years later.

Update:  Here's a description of the show.

#694: LES CRANE SHOW, THE NEW
1964-08-04, WABC, 22 min.
Jackie Robinson, Les Crane, Barry Goldwater, Shelley Winters, William F. Buckley Jr., Lyndon B. Johnson

It's a heated discussion about Presidential Candidate Barry Goldwater with guests Jackie Robinson, Shelley Winters and William F. Buckley Jr. The program is interrupted for 8 minutes by an ABC News Bulletin from the White House. President Lyndon B. Johnson talks to the American People concerning the Gulf of Tonkin attack and USA intervention. Prior to resuming "The Les Crane Show," the network plays "The National Anthem," a patriotic gesture of the era.


----------------------

Update:  I don't know the reason that Jackie Robinson was a Republican, I will note that for a good part of the 20th century, a number of Black Republicans were Republicans because of the strength and influence of the white racists under Jim Crow on the Democratic Party a lot of the racists were a part of from the time of Lincoln's election.  The influence of those haters in the Democratic Party was lessened by the rest of the party being far more diverse and, since at least the 1920s, was increasingly in favor of equality, the rights of workers, the expansion of the common wealth.  Once the Republican "liberals" old money and aristocrats who Robinson praised took in the racists who flowed out of the Democratic Party as it championed civil rights, their power to promote racism, bigotry, in equality was enhanced by those not being the central interest of even the old money aristocrats whose grandfathers and great grandfathers might have fought in the Union Army (or whose daddies hired substitutes) who, like the rich are in almost every case, more interested in having ever more money. 

I find it rather odd that it took someone like Jackie Robinson that long to figure out that's where things were headed.   Though, I suppose, when your hero is Nelson Rockefeller . . . 


3 comments:

  1. The Democratic party was the party of white racism after the Civil War. It's why Texas was a one-party state, and that party the Democrats, for over a century. Jackie Robinson would undoubtedly be a Democrat were he the age today he was in '64. But remembering the South before LBJ, I'm not surprised by Mr. Robinson's choice of political party at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not surprised, either, it's just the migration of the racists started earlier, such as in the 1948 Dixiecrat run by Strom Thurmond after Truman integrated the military. It was still a shock to me to read how a couple of decades earlier, Ida B. Wells Barnett was advising Black People to vote Republican. I should look for the date of that, I think it was 1932 but I'm exhausted from watching the Senate crown Folious Caesar emperor.

      Delete
  2. It wasn't like there were bright line choices at the time. Change that looks sharp and clear in retrospect is often muddled and muddy at the time. The currently accepted history is that Dr. King was a saint we all admired because of his dream, and he was the leader of all black people in America.

    Yeah, not so much.

    ReplyDelete