Saturday, August 12, 2017

The Forgotten Legendary Darlene And Jonathan Edwards

The movie they made about Florence Foster Jenkins a few years back made that novelty figure in the history of bad music making famous.   She did what she did out of tragic tone-deafness and detachment from reality.  People had and have had a lot of fun with poor, deluded Florence.  

Jo Stafford was, in every way, the exact opposite of Ms. Jenkins, she was famous for, not only having a beautiful voice but having an unusually good ear and an advanced knowledge of harmony.  It was one of the things that made her one of the most respected professional jazz-pop crossover singers of her time.  

But she also had a side-line as "Darlene Edwards" working with "Jonathan Edwards," Paul Weston, which showed that when you knew what you were doing, the results were funnier. Here are a few of their musical collaborations. 

Carioca



It's Magic


I could never, no matter how hard I tried sing that off, I don't think I could play that on a clarinet and I can barely make a noise on one.

I Love Paris


No comments:

Post a Comment