Friday, June 3, 2022

Response To Doubt - It's More Than Sixty Years Ago . . .

but I seem to recall it was this one by Caravaggio that was in the big Catholic family Bible that I grew up with.  I don't know who in my family got it, maybe I'll try to find out and see if my memory is correct.   I must have been about four when my older brother showed it to me.  I remember it was something I looked at pretty much every time I looked at that huge old red-leather covered volume.  That and the list of dates when our family members had received the Sacraments administered, especially "Extreme Unction" which, back in those pre-Vatican II days was like getting a death sentence, always gave me the chills.   Things got a lot less morbid after Vatican II.  I have to say, the Catholic baroque style always kind of repelled me after that.

Judith Beheading Holofernes (Caravaggio) - Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment