Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Maurice Ravel - Le Tombeau de Couperin

 


Vlado Perlmutter, piano

Every movement of this popular suite is written in memory of men killed in World War I, all of them friends of Ravel.  I remember when I first heard that I couldn't square it with the general sound of the music, it's certainly memories of his friends alive in the first case but remembered after their deaths, knowing the end they had.  Later, when I studied the movements myself and saw the dedications I couldn't play them as if they were lighthearted or light.  They weren't people I knew in life.


The great but largely forgotten pianist Vlado Permuter studied all of Ravel's music with him so he certainly knew how they were supposed to go.  I post this in memory of all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment