Wednesday, June 10, 2020

R. Nathaniel Dett - Other Sheep, from Eight Bible Vignettes


Denver Oldham, pinao

Every once in a while I look into a composer whose work I'm not very familiar with.  This month it's R.Nathaniel Dett who I'd been aware of but who I'd never listened to much.   I have the album of the fine, too young passed pianist Natalie Hinderas on which she plays his early rather conservatively styled suite In The Bottoms which, listening to it again, is entirely good listening, quite beautiful in many places.  Here's the Prelude from that:





Such beautiful playing. 

I was surprised to find out that in his later middle age, Dett started getting more progressive instead of staying where he'd always been.  That kind of change at that age is something I associate with good composers.  He, also, died too young while he was volunteering for the USO during World War Two.  It makes you wonder what he'd have done if he'd lived twenty more years.   I think I'll post more of his work here. 

I'd gone back to the Hinderas album to listen to George Walker but will save him for another time.  I'm kind of excited about Dett's music.  

Score (note, this is number 7 of the eight)

Score for In The Bottoms

No comments:

Post a Comment