Friday, June 12, 2020

Came For The bell hooks, Listened To Them Both And Will Listen To It Again

There is much to listen to in this dialogue between bell hooks and Cornel West after yesterday's passage from Kung:  I decided to post it after hearing this part, early in it. 

Cornel West:  We come from a people who've been so hated. Who have been so despised, been so terrorized, and traumatized and  stigmatized.  How do you find some intellectual, moral resources to sustain yourself and try to both tell the truth and expose the lies but also to try to keep the love of truth and justice and neighbor. And, of course as a Christian, I try to love my enemy.

bell hooks:  And how's that coming? [audience laughs]

Cornel West:  (laughs)  That's a wonderful question.  As Samuel Beckett says, try again, fail again,  fail better. 

That resonates, though I don't know about the fail better part. 

I love bell hooks and always find her worth listening to and reading though I admit I haven't read her in a while that's who I was looking for when I listened to it.   Though I frequently find Cornel West infuriating (his support for Sanders, especially), he's always worth listening to as well.  It's good for a white man like me to have to hear things people who aren't white men say, ESPECIALLY MUCH OF WHAT I DON'T LIKE TO HEAR.   I've got to make it a point to listen to more of that.  What good is listening to stuff you know you already agree with?  What does that get anyone? 




No comments:

Post a Comment