Thursday, January 7, 2016

Steve Kuhn Trio - Two by two + Remember



Steve Kuhn, piano
Steve Swallow, bass
Billy Drummond, drums

I was looking for the Steve Swallow piece, Remember (at about 7:00 on this video) and found this great recording of it and Two by Two by Steve Kuhn.   So beautiful my eyes tear up when I hear it.\

Update:  Simples exposes himself as a true musical illiterate, calling the Steve Kuhn trio a "A cocktail lounge jazz band doing a blues."  If they're appearing at a cocktail lounge, count me in.  And, dearie, try counting the time of "Remember".  Try it.  I'd suggest following the form but let's see if you can get to 3 first.

Update:   Steve Swallow - Falling Grace


Gary Burton, vibes, piano,
Steve Swallow, bass
Larry Bunker, drums

6 comments:

  1. " And, dearie, try counting the time of "Remember". Try it. I'd suggest following the form but let's see if you can get to 3 first."


    Ah yes, time signatures. That's what music is about.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You, booby, are the one who brought the question of form into this, though I doubt you even realize that's what you did.

      Whoever told you you knew anything about American popular music was trying to make you feel better. You are supremely ignorant.

      Delete
  2. Ah yes, I'm particularly taken with all those Delta blues singers who were so precise about time signatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to remember a Delta blues which had anything other than a duple meter and I'm coming up short. What Delta blues do you know that had a 3/4 time? Even when the beat was divided into triplets, every one I can think of, off hand, had a duple measure.

      What Delta blues are you referring to, by name and by artist?

      Delete