Wednesday, May 20, 2020

More Morse Troll Teasing

I am so enjoying looking at super-cheap, home-made radios made of junk and very cheap components that I think I'll share that pleasure.   And it annoys the trolls, but that's just the icing on the cake. 

Dave Schmarder's  site has some wonderfully interesting looking radios, with schematics given,   though I wish he had done more testing and reporting on his experience with them.   I guess like George Dobbs admitted to, he has so much fun building them that he only has time to use them for a short period before he goes on to his next building project.  

I think someone should start a group dedicated to using radios containing toilet paper tubes for international communication.    The TPGRP Society.   I already have an idea for a Club Anthem, though I don't know how to convey that in Morse.  Maybe when I'm in my 80s I'll get around to that.

There are loads of small businesses selling plans, components and kits. Here is one that Mr. Schmarder endorses.  I don't know how well his kits work but like a number of those who put them out, how they look is part of the fun.  Who would have thought radio bugs had such a sense of design? 

Here is another whose radio and other kits looked really interesting to me. 

Here is a video about making the less than $10 "pixie" kits that have a terrible reputation but are apparently very popular around the world, tolerable.  



One thing I'm finding is that a lot of the recordings of Morse code are at a high pitch that at loud volumes is annoying.   I wouldn't be able to tolerate anything that didn't both lower the pitch and make it quieter than a lot of these videos seem to show is typical of kit made radios.  

Of course, I'm still at the phase where I'm learning Morse Code,  I've made a rule for myself that I buy nothing till I can get to a speed where I would consider imposing communication on someone else.  Then I suppose I'll try to be licensed, though from what I gather pirate stations abound.   I don't suppose I'll do that if the Republican-fascists win the election.  I'll bide my time. 

Update:  Do too.  Do too have an idea for an anthem for the TPGRP Society, if you don't think the phrase "roll on" isn't a part of that you have the intelligence of a materialist blog-rat and don't know me at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment