Monday, May 18, 2020

I Do Have To Say They've Probably Got The Most Well Behaved And Some Of The Smarter Athletes


I love that John Oliver was once again cagey enough to snag a golden opportunity in getting the sole sponsorship of the marble racing league and I love the way they maximized that with donations for charities but after watching this way to satisfy a longing for distraction, I'm thinking learning Morse code is looking really good. 

I'm going to see if I can build a transceiver and get my license with having the inexpensive soldering iron I need be the most expensive thing I have to buy (it was when I read about them making new ones out of junked radios, telephones, etc. ). I'm wondering how cheaply I could do that, it will take months and lots of free time but since I've found out what I need to do to fully suppress the trolls here,  I may have literally minutes a day to devote to that.  

I'm also setting the rule that I have to do all of it while standing. If there's something I don't need at my age it's another excuse to sit down for long periods of time. 

Update:  Apparently it's a lot more popular than you might think, that book that originally cost less than a dollar, Making a Transistor Radio by George Dobbs, a pamphlet, really, (51 pages) I looked to see if I could buy a paper copy of it.  The cheapest price I found was fifty-four dollars, other copies available were in the hundreds of dollars.  That only happens when something is in demand.   I want the information, not the object.  

Update 2:  I'm not against marble racing,  it's more interesting and,assuming there's no underworld betting and the concomitant killings and beatings and gambling addiction involved, less morally tainted than NASCAR, it's certainly more of an intellectual challenge than watching American football, perhaps the most boring and stupid sport ever invented.  It's even less morally tainted than the one sport I can sort of actually tolerate watching, basketball.  My point is that by comparison, the challenge and content of talking in code with someone across the country or world by a radio that costs less than ten dollars is probably more stimulating and interesting.  If you like challenge and stimulation.  

In that listing of moral taint involved with sports, I should certainly include nationalism and the same phenomenon on regional and local levels.  Why I friggin' hate the Olympics, apart from the fact that the IOC are a bunch of organized criminals.  Let me know where a riot breaks out when the local champion marble team loses or wins, the way that those regularly happen in American football.  Riots have been a part of that since the first recorded game. 

No comments:

Post a Comment