Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Hey, Your Bike's A Pig!

Someone informs me that Brando rode his own Triumph motorcycle in the movies, not a Harley, which I can't say I'd ever have noticed the difference or would have thought was worth the research time.  But it's kind of funny if that's true.  

I remember about, oh, it must be about twenty or twenty five years ago, going with one of my brothers and his family to the Oxford Fair and seeing really old bikers in their leathers strutting around, even then in their early senescence if not older - though it could be the biker lifestyle that made them look like that. Biker life is no fountain of youth, you know.   "Hells Grannies" I said then, thinking how ridiculous they looked.  Those are the guys and their gals who Harley-Davidson was marketing to.  I doubt they're buying many from the grave, these days.  

I don't know, are the Triumph bikes the same company that made the shitty cars that were notorious for being off the road and in the shop more than they were on the road?  I knew a guy who in his middle age bought a "classic Triumph" which was a heap - he bought it "for his wife," don't you know. Let's just say it was a rather icy ending to the birthday party -  put huge amounts of money into the thing. had it painted to a mirror finish and I doubt they drove it more than a few dozen times before they unloaded the perpetual oil leaker.   I've heard Harleys are notorious for that, too.  Not that I care.  

I'd rather have a moped, much more fun.  Though these days I'd rather have a 3-speed bike old enough so I wouldn't care if someone stole it.  My near miss of a late mid-life crisis on wheels was thinking of buying a cargo trike with a box in case I had to sell fast food at the farmer's market.  It didn't come to that.  Not yet.  Imagine me peddling pretzels or muffins. 

No comments:

Post a Comment