Sunday, November 1, 2015

On Being - Jonathan Sacks

By some odd coincidence, the exact opposite of what I wrote about this morning was on Krista Tippett's On Being program which I would have been listening to if I hadn't been writing that.   Listening online,  her discussion with the former Chief Rabbi of Britain, Jonathan Sacks, is like an antidote to the things I've been writing about, even if there are things he said that I don't agree with.

This passage, in particular impresses me and will be something I think about all week if not all the rest of my life.

RABBI SACKS: Yeah. Well, let’s not try to describe this as 21st-century radical theology. It always helps if we can locate it in sacred texts. So for me, here is a moment where the hero of the Book of Exodus is a young man called Moses and the villain of the Book of Exodus is somebody called Pharaoh. But it’s Pharaoh’s daughter who, at great risk to herself, saves the life of this young baby who she knows immediately is a Hebrew baby, that she says so, and she knows her father has decreed that every male Hebrew child shall be killed. So at great risk to herself, she takes this child into her home and brings it up. So now we have the daughter of the biggest villain of the book who is responsible for the saving of the life of the hero. Now if that doesn’t challenge our paradigms, I don’t know what does.

You can find God in the other side, and that is something the Bible is doing quite a lot. After all, there’s only one perfect individual — well, perhaps two, if you like — in the whole Bible and neither of them is Jewish. One is called Noah and one is called Job and neither is Jewish. Noah comes before Judaism. Job is what I call every man. Then you look at all the prophets of ancient Israel, and they spent a lifetime preaching to the Israelites, and nobody listened. God sends one prophet, Jonah, to non-Jews, the people in Nineveh, the capital of Israel’s traditional enemy, the Assyrians. Here, all he does is say five Hebrew words, one English sentence: “In 40 days, Nineveh will be destroyed.” And they all repent. So it turns out that non-Jews are better at listening to Jewish prophets than Jews are.

Which sums up so much of why I choose to take that Jewish tradition as entirely more valuable than is fashionable, these days.   Compared to this the things I don't agree with are of lesser importance.

And this passage, an antidote to any kind of literalism or fundamentalism, the arrogance of which presumes that anyone can come up with any final interpretation of those texts, never mind the God so dimly intimated in them.

RABBI SACKS: The Bible is saying to us the whole time, don’t think that God is as simple as you are. He’s in places you would never expect him to be. And, you know, we lose a bit of that in English translation. Because, when Moses, at the burning bush, says to God, “Who are you?” God says to him three words: “Hayah asher hayah.” And those words are mistranslated in English as “I am that which I am.” But in Hebrew, it means “I will be who or how or where I will be,” meaning, don’t think you can predict me. I am a God who is going to surprise you. And one of the ways God surprises us is by letting a Jew or a Christian discover the trace of God’s presence in a Buddhist monk or a Sikh tradition of hospitality or the graciousness of Hindu life. You know, don’t think we can confine God into our categories. God is bigger than religion.

And this:

RABBI SACKS: By being what only I can be. I give humanity what only I can give. It is my uniqueness that allows me to contribute something unique to the universal heritage of humankind. And I sum it up — the Jewish imperative — very simply. And it has been like this since the days of Abraham. To be true to your faith and a blessing to others regardless of their faith.

That seems to me to be the opposite of those ideologies discussed in my last two posts.

Here is the transcript.


1 comment:

  1. It's always better to have a discussion with intelligent people, rather than with idiots who insist they know the Bible better than anyone.

    ReplyDelete