AFTER TRYING TO REMEMBER everyone in the New and Old Testaments who was imprisoned, Jesus, John the Baptist, Paul, Silas, Peter. . . I went online to look for those I couldn't remember. There I saw Jeremiah, Samson, Joseph, Servants of Pharaoh, various apostles, those who Jesus warned that they would be thrown into prison, etc.* There are a remarkable number of those held to be Prophets of God, Apostles and Disciples, JESUS HIMSELF who had been prisoners.
It is undeniable that Jesus, himself, put it as a commandment to treat everyone humanely, including those who are imprisoned. More than that he put it as a commandment that those who are in prison are entitled to our care and regard and support and even our visits.
It wasn't me who said that prisoners are representatives of God, it was Jesus who said that, quite famously in Luke 25:37-40, I'm surprised any "Christian" wouldn't know that. Senator Warnock recently had to remind some such "Christians" of it.
37 “Then those who are righteous will reply to him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you a drink? 38 When did we see you as a stranger and welcome you, or naked and give you clothes to wear? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’
40 “Then the king will reply to them, ‘I assure you that when you have done it for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you have done it for me.’
That King being the Lord. You saying Jesus was lying when he said that?
So, yes, I'm glad to have said what I did about Prisoners Justice Day and I still recommend Bishop Gary Gordon's words about it yesterday.
I'm reminded of what Lazar Zamenhof said, that nothing would be more beautiful than if Christians really followed the teachings of Jesus, and he was Jewish, not a Christian. Though he was certainly more of one than a "Christian" who thought there is something disgusting and vile about following them. And your kind of "Christian" is that kind of "Christian." You admit that you don't find doing that to be beautiful.
* Without going into detail, these came to mind as I was checking this post - those who were exiled in Babylon, many of them explicitly being imprisoned but, really all of them could be added to that list. The martyrs in 2 Maccabees. Oh, and Hosea should be on that list.
No comments:
Post a Comment