In This Series Attacking The Supreme Court's illegitimate usurpation of legislative powers and executive powers explicitly laid out and clearly assigned to the Congress and presidency and how the Court and its lower courts have used that power to continually roll back and abolish any serious attempt to deliver on the promises of the Declaration of Independence and the very promise of what was intended by the framers of the Constitution made in its first words, and they did it from the first significant use of the Marbury power in the Dred Scott decision, in decisions rolling back the first voting rights and civil rights acts of Congress made right after the Civil War - EXACTLY WHAT THE ROBERTS COURT IS DOING TO THE CIVIL RIGHTS AND VOTING RIGHTS ACTS PASSED IN THE 1960S AND REAFFIRMED BY BOTH A LATER CONGRESS AND PRESIDENT AND PREVIOUS SUPREME COURTS - and even parts of the Constitution, itself, especially the 14th Amendment - in going over this I haven't been indulging in an historical exercise, as you can see from just this paragraph, this isn't history, this is what we're seeing the Roberts Court doing as they gut even the restraints on Trump making him a monarch with fewer legal restraints on him than were on George III when the American Revolution was fought to throw that kind of despot off.
I hope that this contributes to a real and successful change that will once and for all abolish that Supreme Court usurpation which, for reasons I state in the series and elsewhere, many lawyers will never have the stomach for because they are, largely, cowards and they don't want so much of their professional training to need an update - which it would need.
I think that a truly democratic Congress and a democratic President will have to nullify it on a de facto basis - a location Lincoln was trending to - explicitly denying the legitimacy of that power of the court to usurp the Constitutionally designated powers which are given to the Congress and Presidency BUT NOT TO THE COURT. Though, I wouldn't be surprised that as the catastrophe that the Roberts Court is inflicting on us ripens that a Constitutional amendment doing that might have some chance, though I'd expect one originating in the states might have a better chance than one in the Congress - too many lawyers in it.
Part Four - The "Orignalists" and "Textualists" And The Rest Of Them "Find Only What They Want To In The Constitution And Legislative Record (Clue, they don't much bother with the legislative record).
At this point, you might want to look at the note I posted complaining that I was having trouble with getting the font size to cooperate in some of these posts.
Another side trip, a quote from John Kenneth Galbraith And Why The Media Is Not The Champion Of Equality and Democracy And A Decent Life For Us All
Part Eleven - "Such a power is denied to the courts, because to concede it would be to make the courts sovereign over both the constitution and the people, and convert the government into a judicial despotism" A Warning From A Conservative On The Court
Part Fourteen - Divided Courts Are Proof That The Court "Finds" What Its Members Want To "Find" In The Text - The Marbury Power Is Certainly One Of Those "Finds"
Part Fifteen - How You Can Know For Certain The Marbury Power Is Not Contained In The Constitution
I have called this a temporary index because there are pieces I'm either sketching out or thinking about that might be included in the future. I don't think I left any important posts out of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment