Tuesday, August 9, 2022

Why I Dumped On Deism - Hate Mail

 "DEISM" WAS added to that list with agnosticism and atheism because I recently found a 2000 lecture about engineering given by Neil Armstrong I remembered hearing on the radio and admiring at the time.  I still like a lot of what he said in it but it led me to read more about him online and, of course, the topic of his religion figured into that.  He is one of the few people I could name who has professed his religious orientation was "deism."   I've always been skeptical about "deism" as anything from the new-atheist fad of the 00's when I regularly asked the atheists to point out to any actual deists who they claimed existed.   Deism in relation to  egalitarian democracy or morality may not be as actively undermining as materialistic, atheistic scientism which inevitably ends up hostile to it and denying their existence,  but it contains absolutely nothing more than MAS to positively motivate towards those.   I think Armstrong got too impressed with the achievements of science, mathematics and technology and he mistook them for the ultimate oracle of everything, as so many do.  Even those who may profess a belief in God.  

I'm sure there are dozens, hundreds and thousands of more than just worthwhile Protestant theologians who I should read and listen to,  Stanley Hauerwas is one whose subtle and radically challenging intersection of religion and politics is one I'm looking more at right now.   Though I said intersection, really, as I indicated, I am beginning to think that there can be no separation because every political issue is fraught with and saturated with moral considerations and problems.  I'm sure there will be many others I wish I had time for, as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment