Saturday, August 1, 2020

Just Yesterday Rachel Maddow accepts the GLAAD Media Award for Outstanding TV Journalism Segment



During a very recent online brawl, as I pointed out that no white people have been discriminated against on the basis of ethnicity with anything like the force and violence that Black, Native American, Asians, Latinos, etc. have been on the basis of skin color and ethnicity, I was mockingly asked if I had ever been discriminated against because I'm Irish.   

I answered that never have though I've been subject to bigoted remarks because of that on "liberal" websites, not to mention on the basis of my name.  And I could point out to past, very violent discrimination against the Irish (especially based on their presumed Catholicism) and that hatred of Catholics was literally a part of the founding documents of the United States and by some of its most august of Founders.  

But I was also able to point out that literally the day before that mocking demand was made I could have been discriminated against in accommodations, in housing, in services, in employment, etc. I could have been discriminated against on all of those things on the basis of my being an LGBTQ human being - oddly that wide range of previously legal discrimination abolished by decision of the very court which, as Rachel Maddow points out has, in fact, legalized discrimination of another sort in the very same term.  And up into my adulthood I could be discriminated on all of those and many more IN LITERALLY EVERY STATE IN THE COUNTRY.  As can be seen from the court case brought by fascists and accepted that allows legal discrimination by corporations owned by religious entities, full equality is not yet achieved.  That is a loophole through which fleets of buses and monster trucks can be driven.

No comments:

Post a Comment