Friday, April 19, 2019

Lamentations of Jeremiah For Good Friday - St. Mary Coptic Church Seattle, Washington


Lamentations 3: 1-66
Sung in English

Walter Brueggemann in talking about why so many churches leave out the Psalms of lament and anger says that they fail to address some of the most important parts of human emotion that are uncomfortable but that can't be left unaddressed.  These verses, sung on Good Friday certainly include those emotions. 

I might love some of the polyphonic settings of the Lamentations in Latin but I've never heard them sung so effectively before.


1 comment:

  1. I liked to point out that Psalm 23 is preceded by Psalm 22:"My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" And the two really should be read as a pairing.

    The Lamentations are ideal for Good Friday.

    ReplyDelete