Friday, August 11, 2017

OK, ok, ok, I'll post a few more standards but not the most standard of them

Lionel Hampton and Sonny Burke - 
Midnight Sun - Jo Stafford 


Billy Strayhorn and Duke Ellington,  John La Touche - Day Dream 



Stafford’s finest jazz album was the 1960 Columbia LP, “Jo + Jazz”. Surrounded by an allstar band which combined stars from the Ellington band (Johnny Hodges, Ben Webster, Harry Carney, Lawrence Brown and Ray Nance) and the West Coast jazz scene (Jimmy Rowles, Don Fagerquist, Conte Candoli, Russ Freeman, Joe Mondragon, Shelly Manne and Mel Lewis), Stafford sings in a light, attractive tone, swinging gently, and creating definitive performances. The band was arranged and conducted by Johnny Mandel, and the play list includes three gems from the Ellington book (“Just Squeeze Me”, “Day Dream” and “I Didn’t Know About You”), big band era classics (“For You”, “Dream of You”, “S’posin’” and “What Can I Say After I Say I’m Sorry”), standards (“You’d Be So Nice To Come Home To”, “I’ve Got The World On A String” and “The Folks Who Live on the Hill”) and jazz-inspired songs (“Midnight Sun” and “Imagination”). 

No comments:

Post a Comment