Thursday, October 13, 2016

Why Would You Think I'd Be Against The Award To Dylan?

I am challenged to say what I think of Bob Dylan being awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature.  Well, I've got no problem with it.  He's a good as some of the previous winners and better than some.  I mean, it's an award that has been given to people like William Golding and Bertrand Russell and Ernest Hemingway and Rudyard Kipling.   

Bob Dylan isn't the most puzzling one who has gotten it.  George Bernard Shaw, the man who spent so many of his words advocating for the most horrific and grotesque inequality, advocating Nazi style mass slaughter decades before the Nazis did it.  And if we're going to talk about him we can also note that another huge fan of genocide, Winston Churchill, got the lit award too.  So, you see, we've hardly scratched more than the surface and Bob Dylan stands far above a lot of the guys who got it, on both his way with words and the ideas he puts forward with them. 

The Nobel committees are nothing if not wacky.  I mean, look at the Peace Prize winners.  Hank Kissinger?  

No comments:

Post a Comment