Monday, January 3, 2022

Too Good To Be Forgotten - I Hope St. Desmond Tutu Continues To Mess With Us

THIS SHORT REMEMBRANCE of Archbishop Desmond Tutu ended with a story about his wonderful wife that I have to post here.

Tutu and his wife of 66 years renewed their marriage vows in 2015, on their 60th anniversary. His wife Nomalizo Leah survives him, as do his four children and seven grandchildren. Once when interviewing Leah in New York, I asked if I could take her photo.

"Just a minute," she responded, reaching into her briefcase. I expected her to get out a hair brush or lipstick. Instead, she removed a large license plate that read: "Don't mess with my Tutu."

The world did not — at least not for long.

I also read that the Archbishop was notably not a lover of would-be classy, elite food, preferring junk food and a sort of fried sandwich that would probably give me a heart condition.   Once when he was to be honored at an elite gathering, the host asked her what kind of food he preferred.  She said, "think of a five-year-old."  

How can anyone doubt he's a saint? 

No comments:

Post a Comment