Wednesday, December 15, 2021

William Bolcom - Free Fantasia On O Zion Haste And How Firm A Foundation


 

Direct link to video

Not sure if it worked, I linked to the piece from after the long introduction and the tuning of the ensemble, I'll test them after I post them.  I think it will work in the Direct link if it doesn't in the picture link. 

This isn't meant as an Advent piece but for some reason when I found this transcription of it for saxophone ensemble - definitely made with the composer's approval and in honor of his 80th birthday, I had that idea.   Some of it is clearer in this transcription than it is in a lot of those videos played on organ.  I sort of wish the O Zion Haste portion was longer.  

1 O Zion, haste, your mission high fulfilling,
to tell to all the world that God is light;
that he who made all nations is not willing
one soul should perish, lost in shades of night.

Refrain:
Publish glad tidings, tidings of peace;
tidings of Jesus, redemption, and release.

2 Behold how many thousands still are lying,
bound in the darksome prison-house of sin,
with none to tell them of the Savior's dying,
or of the life he died for them to win. [Refrain]

 Mary Ann Thomson

No comments:

Post a Comment