Thursday, December 24, 2020

Answering An Argument

I don't know if there's ever been any speculation on this point but as well as the implication at the beginning of Luke's gospel that aspects of the infancy and youth narrative may have been gotten either from Mary or someone who knew her ("She kept these sayings in her heart,") it's possible that Luke, the author of the Gospel and, it is widely asserted, Acts, may have gotten some of it from someone who may have known Mary and Jesus very well, James, "the brother of Jesus" as he is called in some sources. As James is one of the most important figures in Acts, one of the foremost leaders of the Jerusalem church, and as Luke obviously knew of him, perhaps knew him, himself, that's a possible line of transmission of those parts of the story.


If anyone knows of anyone who has posed that as a possibility, I'd like to know.


Note: As I finished this, I found out of a sudden death in my family. I won't be posting anymore for several days.

No comments:

Post a Comment