Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Someone Accuses Me Of Mourning John Simon

That racist, sexist, right-winger, queer-hating John Simon?  I never saw the productions he reviewed,  and seldom watched movies. I stopped bothering with them long ago and stopped reading movie reviews a lot longer ago than that.  I may have even stopped watching Siskal and Ebert by that time.  Last I remembered he worked for the Nazional Review and the little I remember about him was mostly him being on some TV snow-job with that ass Edwin Newman during his post-career as a language scold, scolding people for not talking and writing English to their liking.  Like all such frauds,  Simon, Newman, Safire, White-Strunk, . . . they were full of shit. 

I couldn't care less what he had to say as he was saying it so I'd never assumed he was already dead, not even having thought of him that much.   So, as usual, schmucko, wrong.   I think he was mostly a fixture in the eternal and narrowly focused navel-gazing that the, um,  "culture" that even the higher end of the ever ephemeral NYC scene is.   

I don't ever remember him reviewing radio drama, that's about the only dramatic art I care anything about, these days.  I don't think I've ever read a review of them.  Just one more of the good things about them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment