Saturday, June 30, 2018

Saturday Night Radio Drama - Gordon Pengilly - Bailey's Way: Two Episodes



Returned to duty, but assigned an office assignment,
Tanis jumps at the chance to go undercover again,
even if it is as a hotel chamber-maid. And while
working a low priority case about room thefts, she
uncovers and solves two other cases involving
blackmail and several ‘high-rollers’.

Series Cast: Esther Purves Smith, Tanis Bailey 
David LeReaney as Sergeant Mann
Grant Linneberg as Detective Donaldson.

Cast: Doug McLeod; Pat Gomez; Doug McKeag;
Bartley Bard; Darcy Dunlop;

Doug Curtis.



Cast: Tom Rooney; Dennis Fitzgerald; Georgie Collins; Jim Leyden.

I've been reading and re-reading the scripts for a number of Gordon Pengilly's plays, I've never had the chance to see one on stage but have heard a number of his radio plays, several of which are among the best I've ever heard or read.  I'd love to be able to post more of them so you can hear for yourself, especially They Don't Call Them Farmers Anymore (which I understand is one of his favorites) and Ballad of an Existential Cowboy.   If you can find a copy, his play Flesh and Ghost is quite beautiful  and troubling.   More of his plays are available here.   I for the life of me don't understand why a playwright of his ability isn't more well known.  

He is also a sculptor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment