Saturday, February 11, 2017

Saturday Night Radio Drama - James W. Nichol - Midnight Cab from the CBC Radio Series The Mystery Project

First, a true confession, I've been relieving my horrified reading and listening to the news in the rise of the Republican-fascist Reich by reading detective and mystery novels.  I've read more of them in the past month than I read in the previous two decades.   In my defense, I've been avoiding the cosy crap like crap, the genre seems to break the 90% rule by being about 99% crap.  

One of the best things I've read was the Canadian playwright James W. Nichol's book Midnight Cab, which is interesting in that it uses the same vivid characters of Walker Devereaux, Krista Papadopoulos, Alphonso Piattelli and Inspector Kiss as his wonderful CBC radio drama series that first got me hooked on radio drama, also called Midnight Cab.  Only while the characters and the general outline of the cab company and Walker's apartment above the pawn shop and him coming from "Big River" are the same, the novel and the radio dramas are sufficiently different to take some getting used to.  I love them both and wouldn't want either of them any other way.  

So, here's another sample of the radio drama.  The first in the series


And here's one of the last ones:


Believe me, this is about 100% clearer than they were when I listened to them on the shortwave.  

No comments:

Post a Comment