Monday, August 29, 2016

Dušan Bogdanović - Sonata no. 3 Encore

For someone who began the month never having heard of Dušan Bogdanović and having spent the last two weeks listening to his music and looking at a few of the scores I have managed to get hold of, I'm amazed by his music.  It started by my clicking on that recording of his 3rd Sonata played by Xavier Jara and as the opening lines of counterpoint started I don't think the first phrases of it were over before I was amazed.  As I've been reading and posting, I'm not the only one who is astonished by his music.  I've never heard guitar music quite like it before and I've listened to a fair bit of it.  I think that he, along with composers such as Leo Brouwer the guitar is gaining some of its most significant repertoire in its history.  None of it is easy, all of it is original and, far more important, entirely sincere and audacious, musicially,  technically tight and entirely fearless in its aspirations and its pursuit of those.  I've listened to several recordings of the 3rd Sonata since then and am still most amazed at Jara's interpretation.  Here it is again.


5 comments:

  1. For someone who began the month never having heard of Dušan Bogdanović and having spent the last two weeks listening to his music and looking at a few of the scores I have managed to get hold of, I'm amazed by his music.

    That's because you're a cultist. You're constantly finding people who suddenly seem to you to understand the mysteries of the universe that nobody other than you and them comprehend. Like that moron theolgian you're so crazy about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not surprised that the idea of hearing things you haven't been listening to since c. 1962 and finding new musical ideas and features would seem like an exotic, mystical experience to you because you're too lazy and incurious to want to hear new things. It's the difference between someone who figures music is the equivalent of cheesy wallpaper and someone who sees it as an artistic and intellectual experience.

      You know, for people who figure only I and the author or the composer comprehend their music both Dusan Bogdanovic and Walter Brueggemann are rather world famous with large numbers of people who read, play, listen to and talk and write about their work. Only you wouldn't know that because your musica incuriosity and ignorance extend to all realms of life. You like the trite and goo about all else you haven't got a clue and an aversion to the new.

      Delete
  2. Honest to God, I think Simels whole purpose in life is to piss on something and think himself clever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's remarkable how much of what constitutes some peoples' so-called education consists primarily of that kind of activity and how to prepare to do that. It's so much easier than actually listening.

      Delete
    2. Such an "education" just proves you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him think.

      Delete