Sunday, May 24, 2015

Rupert Sheldrake and Mark Vernon - The Hidden God of Atheism

The Hidden God of Atheism

Rupert Sheldrake is one of my very favorite heretics, the best that Britain has to offer to counter the common received wisdom of Brits as old line materialist-atheist stereotypes.

I don't agree with everything he says, I think he's far too charitable to those who are merely dishonest hucksters and fundamentalists in many cases, for example, but I always appreciate his calm, reasonable manner.

The podcast linked to is one of his Science Set Free podcast dialogues with Mark Vernon.

2 comments:

  1. I don't have time to listen to this now, but I will reserve it for the future.

    FYI, Simels can't post comments here so he decided to come to my blog. I decided I don't want to read that caliber of commentary at Salon, and I don't have to read it at my blog, either.

    It's my blog, I'll allow comments if I want to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simels provides the comfort of knowing that they can't find anything true to say in refutation so they lie about what you've said. Of course part of that is that he is profoundly ignorant and lazy but, then, what does that say about Duncan Black that he's the one he keeps around as he bans other people. What does it say about the other regulars who buy it? The rump of people who can still take Eschaton were quite an education to me, not what they said, in almost every case, in their shallow, bigoted dishonesty that was able to consider itself some kind of erudite observation of reality. It's also where I learned that the internet wasn't going to be any kind of revival of learning and reason, though it's a lesson I learned many other places at the same time.

    If Sims et al volunteer to give me something to use, I'm going to use it. As Buckminster Fuller said, Don't fight forces, use them. And dishonesty is a force. Ignorance and bigotry, too. And they're not just found among the Republican right.

    ReplyDelete