Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Wish I'd said that.

In reaction to my questions about which were the first Popes to call themselves "Christian" or "Catholic" someone asks, "how about the first one to call himself the pope?"   

I didn't find that in my quick search but I found a source that says the first use of the title "Pope" wasn't for a Bishop of Rome, it was for a Bishop of Alexandria, Pope Heraclas who died in 248 and that the title wasn't used in Rome till several centuries after that.  You can learn something every day.  Though I'd usually want to get confirmation of that, it's a holiday.  

Update:  Someone must read me because someone asks:  "Now that it's a new year are you going to post Simels comments again?"

To which I say, why would I want to go backwards in the most backward possible way?   No, I think I'll make use of any voluntary idiocy that I think useful in the way I've been doing it.  I was hoping to never mention him or Duncan or the geriatric jr. high again but they do have their uses as bad examples on the soi disant "left" as do The Young Turks (Cenk's run for congress doesn't seem to be the cake-walk the young Turk seemed to think it would be for him) and Majority Report etc.   That's the "left" the real left has got to finally get shut of or we'll never win again.   Anything that is in the general direction of imagining itself as "Marxism" is death to the real left. 

No comments:

Post a Comment