Wednesday, February 21, 2018

I'm Asked About Billy Graham

I think that what Jesus said was true, so I imagine Billy Graham is going to have to wait for all of the tax collectors and prostitutes and a whole host of others before he has any chance to get into heaven. 

Or, that he's going to join his fellow rich man in a far more uncomfortable waiting room.   Maybe Billy Graham didn't really believe Jesus meant it when he told the story of Lazarus and the rich man.  He doesn't seem to have really believed that part of it. 

He was a snake-oil fraudster whose show biz "Christianity" did more to bring discredit to Christianity than to promote the Gospel, the Law, the Prophets.   I never believed he believed what he was saying, though he, like that Hollywood hunky Moses*, Charlton Heston, might have started believing in his own act.  But it didn't have anything to do with the Gospel.  He'd have given all of those millions away instead of becoming disgustingly rich and spawning a dynastic and irreligious con of the same kind if he really believed what Jesus said. 

*  The Ten Commandments has to count as one of the most irreligious movies ever made.  In the Bible Moses was 80 years old when he confronted Pharaoh and 120 when he died.   Hollywood almost never gets religion right, and only then when they tangentially touch on it.  Considering what Graham's act consisted of, bringing that up is totally relevant. 

Update:  I have never, ever subscribed to the absurd rule that when someone, as we all will, dies, that mandates you tell lies about them.   When someone pulled that on me when Reagan died, my answer was that with the tens of thousands he'd murdered in his terror campaigns in Central America, he needed the forgiveness of those people and their survivors, that I had no right to forgive him for wrongs he'd done to them.  And that I wasn't going to lie about it.   I'm also not going to lie now, saying things about Graham today that I'd have said about him while he was still breathing. 

1 comment:

  1. "In the Bible Moses was 80 years old when he confronted Pharaoh and 120 when he died. Hollywood almost never gets religion right, and only then when they tangentially touch on it."

    Next you're gonna tell me Moses wasn't a white man! Like Jesus!

    ReplyDelete