Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Hate Mail - Open Letter

Look, Tell Duncan from me,

It's not complicated.  I write things about things, people send me hate.  You gave up writing years ago, that's why you don't even get hate mail.   You voluntarily dropped out of things, skating by on your past glory, such as it was, as someone put it five years ago, milking your blog for money. I encouraged you to write stuff for years and you banned me while publishing people who lie about me. I lost interest in encouraging you.  You're like those people who were big in TV in the 50s who fell into obscurity with an ever decreasing group of fans who even remembered they'd been there.  Younger ones never heard of them.  But you did it by choice.  You didn't think that writing a few things was going to change the world in a few, short years, did you?  If you started out thinking you were going to have that kind of impact you're bound to get disappointed.  

You're a talented guy who is far from stupid, You've got a doctorate from a friggin' Ivy in a profitable field.  Some people find that impressive. You can start again,

It's a good idea to do that every so often, start afresh.   You'll feel like a new man. Think of it as mid-life opportunity.   If you fail, so what?  Try again.  A man with a PhD in econ isn't going to starve to death.   I'll probably do it when I hit a certain age just so I won't go stale.   But you're never going to do it as long as you keep up Baby Blue.  That model might have gotten you something in the '00s but it's over.  The alternative is to turn into a sort of Harry Hope running a fleabag bar full of people pretending they're what they aren't, waiting to drink themselves to  death.   Really, look at The Iceman Cometh.   You're not quite ready to turn into that guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment