Monday, November 9, 2015

Harry Somers - Suite for Harp and Chamber Orchestra



Barbara Pöschl-Edrich, harp
Lexington Symphony, Jonathan McPhee, conductor

I forgot that I was intending to post a series of pieces by the Canadian composer Harry Somers last spring.  Don't remember why I stopped after two pieces so no time like the present to start it up again. With every piece of his I hear it's clearer that Somers was a great composer, one who is played way, way too infrequently this side of the border.

This piece is played by the Lexington, MA symphony.  The soloist, Barbara Pöschl-Edrich is very good as is the Lexington Symphony under Jonathan McPhee.  I have to admit I wasn't familiar with any of them before hearing this.  I looked at both Pöschl-Edrich's and McPhee's websites and the orchestra's and am hoping to hear more of their work.

I saw this while I found the Colin McPhee piece I posted at noon.  As far as I know Jonathan McPhee isn't related to the earlier composer.

No comments:

Post a Comment