Thursday, August 7, 2014

The Last Words of Copernicus Sacred Harp #112 At Noon



Update:  I haven't been able to trace the authenticity of it, but I've read that Copernicus requested that his epitaph be, in English translation,

O Lord, the faith thou didst give to St. Paul , I cannot ask; the mercy thou didst show to St. Peter, I dare not ask; but, Lord, the grace thou didst show unto the dying robber, that, Lord, show to me.

I will admit that if I found the authentication of that it would tickle me pink.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this stuff.

    I stopped going to church with my grandparents almost 50 years ago. I'd almost forgotten what the singing there sounded like. If this isn't exactly what they sang, it's closer than I've been since my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really happy that they please you. By coincidence (synchronicity? just to be obnoxious to certain parties) apparently they're going to have someone who is inspired by Sacred Harp style on Terry Gross tonight, though I don't ususally listen to her and I really don't care for instrumental versions of sacred a capella or monophonic music. The words mean something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heard it this afternoon. Not bad, but not the same as the singing.

    ReplyDelete