Friday, January 24, 2014

I Recommend Toby Laboutillier's Down Memory Lane

While the best program in the history of Maine radio is the great Humble Farmer, another pretty good program was Toby Laboutillier's Down Memory Lane.  Every Friday Afternoon at 2:00 PM, just about everyone I knew who could tuned in to listen to his survey of popular music going back as far as he could find the records and the contemporary rankings.  Going way back into the acoustic period.  I usually tuned out before he got to the mid-1960s and 70s, having already heard that stuff too much.

Like The Humble Farmer, he was taken off of Maine Public Radio by the evil management.  Unlike Humble, the protest was enough so they had to give him the option of putting out a weekly podcast.  If I can I listen at the same time as before, if not whenever I can.   A lot of it is what I'd never choose to hear but it's always interesting to hear what I never have.  I've learned more about the history of popular music from this show and Toby's other shows going back into the early 1970s than from anything else.


No comments:

Post a Comment