Monday, February 25, 2019

Oscars? Don't Much Know, Don't Much Care

About the only thing I heard about who won was that Spike Lee has gotten no love from the largely white Hollywood "academy" and a white savior movie got the best movie.   If I were Spike, if they put my next film up for a nomination I'd tell them to take it down because it was only there for show, anyway.

From what I understand about "The Academy" I've got something in common with some of those who vote on who to give those statues to.  I haven't seen any of the movies, I probably never will.  I don't care about them and in a few months they'll all be relegated to ever dimming memory.  About the only thing I remember anyone saying in regard to the whole thing is what George C. Scott said when he rejected being put in competition with other actors,

"The whole thing is a goddamn meat parade. I don't want any part of it."

Like Bela Bartok said about music competitions, competitions are for race horses, not artists.  In music it's far more likely that the losers will go on to have interesting and distinctive careers, the rule for how to win music competitions is to do the expected.   The artists among those involved with the movies would do a lot better to concentrate on making art, not chasing dollars, which is what the whole thing is really about.  I would bet that more people get more from the losers than they do the winners.  Except for money.  That's what Hollywood is really all about.   I can't even rouse myself to look at the absurd gowns,  witty, catty Mr. Blackwell made that kind of fun for about five minutes every year.  It's no fun anymore.

Update:  No, I didn't know that Roger Stone tried to steal Mr. Blackwell's act after he died, he should go to prison for that, alone.  The best punishment would be for Stone to rot in obscurity and without influence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment