Wednesday, January 16, 2019

But What About Phineas Gage?

It should be Rule #1 or close to 1 that any academic or college credentialed person who cites "the case of Phineas Gage" to make claims about the mind or the brain or free will has proven themselves to be a gullible idiot.  "The case of Phineas Gage" is based on 19th century bullshit science, much of it coming from, and I kid you not, a phrenologist.  His actual, known biography, his work record, his record of holding down difficult jobs in a number of different situations before the brain trauma he suffered caught up with him in California doesn't support the bullshit "neuroscience" claims about him which are all, every one I've ever seen, ideological, not scientific. 

I've written about that at length, you can read the basis of my thinking from just this one time I did. 

1 comment:

  1. I expect people who cite Phineas Gage to also rely on Nostradamus for history lessons.

    They might as well. Might as well be flat-earthers, too.

    ReplyDelete