Saturday, December 2, 2017

A Correction Of Sorts

Way down in the pile of comments I haven't sent to spam yet, and a few that might get published, yet, someone objects to my statement that other than Stravinsky and Bartok, none of the greatest composers wrote for ballet.   The comment claims that Debussy wrote for the ballet, citing his famous, Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune.   But, while that was used in a ballet, later, he originally composed it as a concert work, not as a ballet.  I don't know what Debussy thought of the ballet that was made on it eighteen years after he composed it, especially the scandale that erupted over a few seconds of Nijinsky's choreography  in which the faune mimed masturbating into a scarf.  I'd expect he said something about it, I've just never run across it.   In fact checking this, I did find out that the somewhat obscure orchestral piece Jeux, was written for a ballet.  Apparently Debussy first said "non" but Diaghilev waved a big enough fee in front of him and he relented.  So I stand sort of corrected on that.  I'm not sure if Jeux has been used for a ballet during my lifetime, if it has I've never known of it.

2 comments:

  1. You really need to get this stuff right, you know. It's important. Especially when somebody on the internet is wrong! THIS SHALL NOT STAND!!!!!!!

    I get so tired of small minds and their hobgoblins.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time I put a comma in the wrong place someone at Duncan's wets their bed. And I'll bet none of them could tell Jeux from jacques.

      I really do think it's admirable how Duncan can derive an income out of a blog he's gotten a bunch of attention-seeking, leisure class geezers to provide the content for. And apparently all he has to do is put up a post saying he wants something and he expects someone is going to go to Amazon and buy it for him, getting a percentage of the profits from that, too. I don't know which is more contemptible, him or his regulars.

      Delete