Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Footnotes To The Post Below

I don't know why it didn't occur to me until just now but I should have posted the texts that Walter Brueggemann cited in that passage, here they are in the Good News Translation.

 Deuteronomy 26:5-9

5 Then, in the Lord's presence you will recite these words: ‘My ancestor was a wandering Aramean, who took his family to Egypt to live. They were few in number when they went there, but they became a large and powerful nation. 6 The Egyptians treated us harshly and forced us to work as slaves. 7 Then we cried out for help to the Lord, the God of our ancestors. He heard us and saw our suffering, hardship, and misery. 8 By his great power and strength he rescued us from Egypt. He worked miracles and wonders, and caused terrifying things to happen. 9 He brought us here and gave us this rich and fertile land.


Deuteronomy 6:20-24

20 “In times to come your children will ask you, ‘Why did the Lord our God command us to obey all these laws?’ 21 Then tell them, ‘We were slaves of the king of Egypt, and the Lord rescued us by his great power. 22 With our own eyes we saw him work miracles and do terrifying things to the Egyptians and to their king and to all his officials. 23 He freed us from Egypt to bring us here and give us this land, as he had promised our ancestors he would. 24 Then the Lord our God commanded us to obey all these laws and to honor him. If we do, he will always watch over our nation and keep it prosperous.

Joshua 24:1-13

Joshua Speaks to the People at Shechem
24 Joshua gathered all the tribes of Israel together at Shechem. He called the elders, the leaders, the judges, and the officers of Israel, and they came into the presence of God. 2 Joshua said to all the people, “This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, has to say: ‘Long ago your ancestors lived on the other side of the Euphrates River and worshiped other gods. One of those ancestors was Terah, the father of Abraham and Nahor. 3 Then I took Abraham, your ancestor, from the land across the Euphrates and led him through the whole land of Canaan. I gave him many descendants. I gave him Isaac, 4 and to Isaac I gave Jacob and Esau. I gave Esau the hill country of Edom as his possession, but your ancestor Jacob and his children went down to Egypt. 5 Later I sent Moses and Aaron, and I brought great trouble on Egypt. But I led you out; 6 I brought your ancestors out of Egypt, and the Egyptians pursued them with chariots and cavalry. But when your ancestors got to the Red Sea 7 they cried out to me for help, and I put darkness between them and the Egyptians. I made the sea come rolling over the Egyptians and drown them. You know what I did to Egypt.

“‘You lived in the desert a long time. 8 Then I brought you to the land of the Amorites, who lived on the east side of the Jordan. They fought you, but I gave you victory over them. You took their land, and I destroyed them as you advanced. 9 Then the king of Moab, Balak son of Zippor, fought against you. He sent word to Balaam son of Beor and asked him to put a curse on you. 10 But I would not listen to Balaam, so he blessed you, and in this way I rescued you from Balak. 11 You crossed the Jordan and came to Jericho. The men of Jericho fought you, as did the Amorites, the Perizzites, the Canaanites, the Hittites, the Girgashites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites. But I gave you victory over them all. 12 As you advanced, I threw them into panic in order to drive out the two Amorite kings. Your swords and bows had nothing to do with it. 13 I gave you a land that you had never worked and cities that you had not built. Now you are living there and eating grapes from vines that you did not plant, and olives from trees that you did not plant.’

Exodus 15:1-18

The Song of Moses
15 Then Moses and the Israelites sang this song to the Lord:

“I will sing to the Lord, because he has won a glorious victory;
    he has thrown the horses and their riders into the sea.
2 The Lord is my strong defender;
    he is the one who has saved me.
He is my God, and I will praise him,
    my father's God, and I will sing about his greatness.
3 The Lord is a warrior;
    the Lord is his name.
4 “He threw Egypt's army and its chariots into the sea;
    the best of its officers were drowned in the Red Sea.
5 The deep sea covered them;
    they sank to the bottom like a stone.
6 “Your right hand, Lord, is awesome in power;
    it breaks the enemy in pieces.
7 In majestic triumph you overthrow your foes;
    your anger blazes out and burns them up like straw.
8 You blew on the sea and the water piled up high;
    it stood up straight like a wall;
    the deepest part of the sea became solid.
9 The enemy said, ‘I will pursue them and catch them;
    I will divide their wealth and take all I want;
    I will draw my sword and take all they have.’
10 But one breath from you, Lord, and the Egyptians were drowned;
    they sank like lead in the terrible water.
11 “Lord, who among the gods is like you?
    Who is like you, wonderful in holiness?
    Who can work miracles and mighty acts like yours?
12 You stretched out your right hand,
    and the earth swallowed our enemies.
13 Faithful to your promise, you led the people you had rescued;
    by your strength you guided them to your sacred land.
14 The nations have heard, and they tremble with fear;
    the Philistines are seized with terror.
15 The leaders of Edom are terrified;
    Moab's mighty men are trembling;
    the people of Canaan lose their courage.
16 Terror and dread fall upon them.
They see your strength, O Lord,
    and stand helpless with fear
    until your people have marched past—
    the people you set free from slavery.
17 You bring them in and plant them on your mountain,
    the place that you, Lord, have chosen for your home,
    the Temple that you yourself have built.
18 You, Lord, will be king forever and ever.”

You can find dozens of different translations of the text online, Bible Gateway is just one source for them.  I like the GNT for a beginning place.  I don't particularly like the Easy-to Read Version, though I like the idea behind the translation.  I have used the Spanish version of that to practice reading spanish, you can find that online.  I have to admit, I do find the notes in the Geneva Bible to be interesting and at times rather startlingly liberal.

No comments:

Post a Comment