Tuesday, September 14, 2021

An Answer - It Would Be Too Stupid

I WOULD LOVE TO SEE what would happen to any university based mathematician who claimed that every property of the natural numbers is known in every aspect and that there are no further properties of them to be discovered.  I would imagine no one would make such a claim but I'd like to see the response to such a claim.  And what is true for that set of numbers, in general, would be true for every element in that set, I would guess, including the number 1.  I don't know how you could rank such aspects of mathematics in terms of significance.  That's, surely, an extra-mathematical ranking.

If I were a mathematician I'd love to run that experiment though I doubt such a paper would ever get into a professional journal.   It would be too stupid.  Maybe your friend would like to try that, though I think it's probably more likely you misunderstood her.

Physics, today?  Such claims are a dime a dozen and worth far less than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment