Friday, April 27, 2018

For The Jury System And Due Process

I'm asked, commanded, really,  to comment on the conviction of Bill Cosby. 

There was a trial, two of them.   Evidence was presented and tested under cross examination and Bill Cosby was convicted of, as I understand it, three felonies and faces the prospect of spending the rest of his life in prison.  

All I ever said on the subject is that anyone who is accused of serious crimes, in this case very serious, very sensational crimes, should face trial and if a jury convicts them they should be deemed guilty.   The only thing I ever objected to was the attempt to convict him in the media and in online chatter.   I took the same position I have when innocent people have been convicted in the media and by gossip.   The place to judge someone accused of a felony they can be convicted of is in a trial.   Being for or against Bill Cosby never had anything to do with it, as I said when the internet Salon babble was at its height a couple of years back, I didn't like him and never had but that has nothing to do with whether or not the place to decide his guilt was in a legitimate court of law.  

He was convicted by a jury.   If there is an appeal, that will be a different matter for judges to judge.  I'm not one, I don't know the law.   Neither are you, neither do you.   

No comments:

Post a Comment