Saturday, July 1, 2017

Saturday Night Radio Drama - Sears Radio Theater - The Afro-Westerner - A 4th of July Special





"The Afro-Westerner" starring Brock Peters and Parley Baer, with Lome Greene, host.

The story of a young African from Liberia who, in 1875, visits Laramie, Wyo., where his grandparents, escaped slaves, had lived for 13 years.


This is the latest series of radio drama on commercial American radio that I ever heard of from the decade that I hold was the high point in the positive depiction of Black people in the American media.   I can't imagine Sears as run by an incompetent disciple of Ayn Rand sponsoring something like this, today.  Or, frankly, much of anyone else.   You'll also hear a next to extinct species, the public service message, something that pretty much got killed of during the Reagan administration. 

I also can't imagine anyone making the effort to point out that the 'ol west was not lily white. 

We're supposed to have thunderstorms coming through and I expect we'll lose our internet around here so I'm posting it early.  If I can I'll post more later.   You'll want to adjust the volume, the recording is slightly reverb rich.  

4 comments:

  1. I bet you dollars to donuts you had no idea who Parley Baer was, or of his enormous contributions to the Golden Age of Radio, until today. And I'll bet you think all the stuff he did in television and movies was shit, because, you know, television and movies. I'll bet you still wouldn't recognize his voice if I sent you a clip of his work on, say, YOURS TRULY JOHNNY DOLLAR.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll also bet you have no fucking clue about Brock Peters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooooh, I'll bet you figure To Kill A Mockingbird didn't make it here, at the movies or on TV, don't you. Or any of the other movies and TV shows he was in.

    You are such a provincial city boy, Simps.

    I think it's a real hoot when Simps thinks he's special because he's heard of some actor or other, figuring that other people don't know about them. This is just one of the enraged comments like that he's got in moderation here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Parley Baer, you lying shithead.

    You have no idea who he was.

    ReplyDelete