Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Getting Back To Something Important Brueggemann on Exile Today

I had intended to post this teaching lecture by Walter Brueggemann yesterday.   It concerns something I'd mentioned a few days back, about how people are forced to live a life of exile in materialistic society, how we are all held under a Babylonian exile and we need to learn how to do that while not compromising our morality and its practice.   That compromise is what the negative history of religion is written in, Christian history, Jewish history.  I would say Muslim history but I haven't read nearly as much of that religion and culture as I should to really be able to make that claim reliably.

In some ways, some parts of the Christian population have faithfully practiced the moral requirements of their religion, I would argue that there are probably more Christians aware of that requirement today than there had been in much of the preceding 2000 years.

Anyway, I don't have the time, today, to do the necessary transcription of what he said, I hope to get to that later in the week.


No comments:

Post a Comment