Friday, September 4, 2015

I Remember Peace Pilgrim's Ministry

From 1953 to 1981 a silver haired woman calling herself only "Peace Pilgrim" walked more than 25,000 miles on a personal pilgrimage for peace. She vowed to "remain a wanderer until mankind has learned the way of peace, walking until given shelter and fasting until given food." In the course of her 28 year pilgrimage she touched the hearts, minds, and lives of thousands of individuals all across North America. Her message was both simple and profound. It continues to inspire people all over the world.

I never saw her or talked to her but I remember hearing about her for many of those years, I knew people who had met her and they were always impressed, even one who thought she was kind of naive.  I came across a site dedicated to her message, first of all, but also her testimony and memory. The site gives more biographical information about her than I ever remember hearing when she was alive, so dedicated was she to her ministry.   The implications of her and her ministry are intriguing to think about, it kind of reminds me of another ministry and what came of it.  Clearly she was doing what she intended, or her intention developed over the years and decades.  I think it deserves attention, now.  Especially as it is probably entirely out of fashion with the sophisticates and those who nervously wish to be mistaken for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment