Sunday, July 20, 2014

Sabbath Day

I've decided to practice what I preached last week and take a day a week away from the computer.   I would recommend you listen to Krista Tippett's program today, a really interesting and varied look at what Ramadan is like for various Muslims.   It has short accounts of what Ramadan is for them, from a lot of different Muslims instead of a few "experts".  Which is good, since there are more than a billion and a half people who are Muslims, all of them different and individual, not the uniform and threatening mass that the media encourages us to believe them to be in our ignorance.  

I especially liked the idea of people being reminded through being hungry and thirsty that they are all equal, that they are equal with poor people who face that all the time.  I wish more people did that more often.   I once heard a Muslim feminist who said that in Islam it was required to accept as well as give charity.  It could be a really effective way to remove the stigma from needing help that afflicts how so many Christians' view of charity and those who have no choice but to receive it.  

But that could get me going and I really mean it about taking a day away from the computer.  See you Monday.  


2 comments:

  1. Good for you. Me, I'm used to working on Sundays, so it's a habit or a practice or a custom or I just don't consider this work.

    But I admire your resolve. May it be unto you according to your faith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt guilty all day, as if I were neglecting my duty to my detractors. But I'll get better with non-practice.

    ReplyDelete