Saturday, May 31, 2014

"They Lie Like That" And Today in Post-Literacy An Answer to a self-contradicting claim

Your use of the late, great Maya Angelou for your assertions about the virtues of prostitution are refuted by your own link.   Here, I'll highlight the contradiction of your use of her, from her own mouth, in the very interview you link to.

Linda: You've done a lot of things in your life that most people would judge as wrong. You've smoked pot, taken drugs, you were a madam for lesbian prostitutes, a teenage mom, a table dancer - you didn't follow the straight and narrow. All these experiences gave you a rich life?

Dr. Angelou: Yes, but I wouldn't suggest it for anybody
I mean, if you happen to fall into that sort of experience, what you have to do is forgive yourself. If you’re in the very gutter, see where you are and admit it. As soon as you admit it, you can be like the prodigal son, the prodigal daughter. Get up and go home - wherever home is. 
Get up and go to a safe place, someplace where your spirit is not kicked and brutalized and your body not misused and abused
Get up. But you can’t get up unless you see where you are and admit it. I wrote about my experiences because I thought too many people tell young folks, “I never did anything wrong. Who, Moi? - never I. I have no skeletons in my closet. In fact, I have no closet.” 
They lie like that and then young people find themselves in situations and they think, “Damn I must be a pretty bad guy. My mom or dad never did anything wrong.” 

They can’t forgive themselves and go on with their lives. So I wrote the book Gather Together in My Name. Meaning that all those grown people, all those adults, all those parents and grandparents and teachers and preachers and rabbis and priests who lie to the children can gather together in my name and I will tell them the truth. Wherever you are, you have got to admit it and set about to make a change. That’s why I wrote that book. It’s the most painful book I've ever written.

I don't see any support for your "sex pos" position in that.  It's frankly calling it what it is, WRONG.  Part of this post-literate phenomenon is that people don't care about what someone is actually saying, they care about using it for their own purposes, perhaps that's why you don't see the words on the page and you don't see what those words mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment